Skip to main content

Everything Grows


I titled my writing space "Everything Grows" based on the song by Raffi that was stuck in my head. It has been a concept on my mind a lot lately as I lean into pandemic stereotypes of creating giant garden spaces, brewing kombucha, enjoying sourdough bread my husband bakes, cutting hair, and generally being amazed by the new things my son learns and does each day. In this season where we have been doing the same routine since March, it can be hard to feel like anything is progressing. I'm still home. 

I'm grateful to live in a place with seasonal changes though because despite the unchanging pandemic routine, the earth is changing and growing and dying and living. I also have long felt that no matter what, everyone can learn - make progress - grow. No matter the obstacle standing between my students and their learning - a diagnosed learning difference - an insufficient meal - a distracted mind during lessons - if I start from the foundation of believing that everyday, everything and everyone grows, I can look for the growth and celebrate successes, even if they're small. This is a comfort to me as the days begin to grow darker and the winter hibernation and further isolation approaches. Today, something will grow, no matter what I do - even if it's just a weed or my fingernails. 

Comments